Chickpeas are one of those +++ ingredients: cheap, protein packed hence wonderfully filling, they can be tossed into any salad or casserole. Let's admit it though: there's nothing that exciting about this close-to-tasteless legume, and once you've made humus a couple of times, or thrown a handful in your veggie soup for a few weeks, you may think you're done.
Here's a decadent recipe to reconcile you with chickpeas---and with dessert time, if need be! We served this yummy healthy brownie at this week's community meal, and... let's say it went down very very well :)
Gluten and Lactose-Free Chickpea Brownies
Yields approx. 12 brownies
- 375 g dark chocolate
- 100 g sugar
- 2 cups chick peas (1 can)
- 4 eggs
- 1 heaping tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350o F, grease baking pan(s).
- Melt together chocolate and sugar in a double boiler.
- Blend together all the other ingredients in food processor.
- Mix together chick peas and melted chocolate. Transfer to baking pan, bake for 35 minutes. Do not unmold until completely cool.